Friday, July 11, 2014

"For You"

For You

When I see that you are sad-
Hold you tight, make it right.

When you're acting very mad-
No more frown, calm you down. 

When you're feeling very silly-
Bounce around, act unwound

When you're feeling very calm-
Books supplied, side by side. 

When you're being very clever-
Learn a lesson, ask some questions. 

When you have a lot to say-
Listen close, get engrossed. 

When you feel like an adventure-
Go explore, get outdoors. 

When you feel like you should dance-
Leaps and bounds, twirl around. 

When you need a little help-
Hold your hands, 'til you stand. 

Every moment of the day-
Always true, I love you. 



I wrote this poem one very early morning. Paige had some bad dreams and called me down a few times during the night/early morning for comfort. I finally snuck off to my own bed for some sleep and Owen appeared in our bed. He fell asleep quickly but in that sort of restless sprawling state that kids are really good at. It was 4 or 5 am by this point so I went downstairs and sleepily started thinking of this poem. Rhyme scheme was inspired by one of my favorite poems by Robert Browning, "Love Among the Ruins."

No comments: