Thursday, May 2, 2013

New Recipes!

The first three pictures are all recipes from the same cookbook, The Smitten Kitchen by Deb Perelman. I saw it at the library and brought it home because the author writes a blog I like to check on every once in awhile. I could tell it's a really good cookbook because of the number of pages I had to bookmark. I returned it before I could make the Chocolate Chip Brioche Pretzels and the Cheddar Swirl Breakfast Rolls. Here's what I did get around to making...

Potato Frittata with Feta and Scallions-the name is a bit deceiving because it also calls for bacon but I opted to leave that out anyway. I thought it was fantastic, I think Pat thought it was mediocre and the kids were totally unimpressed. I ate the leftovers the next day and they were even better than the night before!

Tomato-Glazed Meatloaves with Brown Butter Mashed Potatoes-Also amazing but this time everyone was in agreement.  I am usually pretty indifferent to mashed potatoes but the brown butter in the recipe really made a huge difference to me.  The only change in the recipe was I used ground turkey instead of beef.
Buttered Popcorn Cookies-My excuse for trying out this recipe was that I knew Pat would take them to work. They look really tasty and they would have been-without the popcorn. Despite my best efforts at removing kernels I still got a couple. The batter was very good but the popcorn variety I used didn't pop up fluffy enough for these cookies to work. 

Lemon-Ricotta Pancakes-I got this recipe from the newspaper and can't find a link for the recipe! They were really good but looked pretty gross (they were fluffy and pretty in the newspaper picture...). We had them for dinner one night and I served them with strawberries and vanilla greek yogurt.
Banana Almond Oat Pancakes-These pancakes were really filling and really good. The kids loved them.  I love the recipe-you throw a bunch of healthy stuff in a food processor, add the liquid and then make the pancakes on a griddle. There's also no flour or added sugar in the recipe. The only sweetness comes from a banana (and whatever syrup you use!)


No comments: