Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Blame the Banana King

So...Owen and I were grocery shopping yesterday and we were perusing a shelf of produce the store has of fruits and veggies that they need to sell quickly ($1 a bag!). Normally the shelf is empty but this time there were two bags of peppers and about 10 bags of bananas. I was super excited about the peppers since I love them but they're usually $3 a pound, instead I got six for $1! Anyway, I had 5 bananas at home so I didn't need any. I was about to move on until an elderly gentleman started up a conversation with me about (among other things) how great bananas were. You see, he used to know the Banana King of Scranton, PA. Immediately I thought WOW! Apparently I'm impressed with anyone who has "King" in their title. The Banana King used to get bananas shipped in green and then they would ripen up and be sold for 12 cents a hand. Do you know what a "hand" is? Neither did I. He told me. It's about 10 or 12 bananas. After all this and part of the man's life story (He's 81 and told me he goes back to the depression years) I felt I needed to get some bananas. Now I have a lot of bananas. Now I have to make a lot of banana bread. (By the way, I've since googled the Banana King of Scranton, PA and haven't found anything...)


Owen likes to line up his cars. He was very proud of himself so I took a picture:)


No comments: