Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Book Reviews


The Gardner Heist--The true story of the world's largest unsolved art crime. How did I not know about this? Apparently, in 1990, some people broke into the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum in Boston and stole a whole bunch of stuff. The details make it sound like it was quite an easy job. Now I wish we had gotten around to going when we were in Boston! It's still unsolved and the museum has all the frames that the paintings (and whatnot) were in still hanging since Isabella Stewart Gardner stipulated that nothing in the museum should ever change. Hence the picture on the cover of the book.

A Shortcut in Time--A man accidentally discovers time travel that results from certain conditions but doesn't have much control over it. Then a girl from 1908 shows up and needs to get back. I liked that there weren't so many rules to follow in this book. It seemed that anyone could time travel under the right conditions and everyone was honest about it. A lot of times in these books only one person has the ability and they try to pretend they aren't doing it.

I've become a bit obsessed with the subject of time travel now and I'm on the lookout for more. I think it stems from thinking I needed to reread The Time Traveler's Wife (Have you read this? You need to.) before the movie came out. When I got it out I was perusing the reviews written by other authors and that's where I came across a few new authors to try.

2 comments:

Jamie the Great said...

You should hook up with the library and have your own critics corner! I bet peoples like you would appreciate the stay-at-home-mommy-just-like-them reviews.

Alex Hall said...

Well, you should start with /The Time Machine/. I have a chapter from a book a professor of mine wrote that gives a rundown of the time travel trope in science fiction if you're interested. By the way, did I ever send you the pictures I took of Owen and everybody when I was up there?