Thursday, June 18, 2009

Book Reviews


I'm really behind on my book reviews! I'm also really behind on returning books to the library since I was able to take a picture of the last three books I've read all at once.

Do-Over--Nonfiction book about a man who, at the age of 48, decided to redo some of the key moments in his life (kindergarten, time abroad, prom etc.) that he thinks could have been better. This book had me chuckling out loud for the first half but it didn't hold up until the end. Reading about him interacting with the kids was probably the best part. By the time he was redoing stuff during his teenage years I just wasn't interested.

How to Buy a Love of Reading--Fiction book about a girl whose wealthy parents decide to get a young wannabe author to write a book specifically to their daughter's interests with the hope that it will encourage her to enjoy reading and other academic pursuits. It's actually about a lot more than that but it's about too much to explain here. It was good and nice to read a book about a teenager that wasn't written for teenagers. There was a lot of story within a story within a story type things going on and so by the time I finished it I was pretty sure I had missed something...

The Memorist--Fiction book mainly about a girl plagued by memories of a past life and how they are revealed to her. I think the idea of past lives is really interesting so I enjoyed the story. The other characters frustrated me at times because I just wanted to read the main story and not hear about the other people. This book was actually a follow-up to a book called The Reincarnationist although not an actual sequel so now I have to go read that book too.

No comments: