Sunday, May 17, 2009

Book Review


Julie and Julia: 365 days, 524 recipes, 1 tiny apartment kitchen -- Whenever I see a preview for a movie that was adapted from a book I get a bit panicky and feel the need to read the book before the movie ruins it for me. I do this even if I have no intention of seeing the movie, those previews can reveal so much, you know?! I had heard of this book awhile ago and wanted to read it but since I didn't write it down or immediately go get it I promptly forgot. Then I saw a preview for it and it was all the motivation I needed. (By the way, I really do want to see this. Meryl Streep as Julia Child?! I wouldn't have been able to imagine it but she's brilliant in those previews! Brilliant!)

The author of the book decided one day to complete all of the recipes in Julia Child's cookbook, Mastering the Art of French Cooking in one year. I'm sure you can imagine the hijinks that ensue. It was a good and entertaining read but I wanted to learn more about Julia Child (It implies you will in the movie preview. See what I mean? My reading of the book was tainted from the get-go from that one preview!). It's also interesting to note that she chronicled the whole thing on a blog while she was doing it so she went from a blog to a book deal to a movie. Nice, right?! Anyway, I have a couple of books already lined up for my next read but I might slip a book about Julia Child in there somewhere.

2 comments:

Alex Hall said...

So maybe you can have blog to book deal too, Kim. You just need that one crazy idea. Like, I don't know, make a recipe to tribute each of the films on AFI's 100 best films. Wait--that would be good for the Yum club! Watch, then cook!

Alex Hall said...

On second thought, that one might deserve its own blog. Maybe that's my calling.